“Weeping Angel” problem – an issue in a project (or similar) which is under control while someone is actively watching it but will go badly wrong the moment that no-one is observing/managing.
This great example of project management speak just got emailed around work, via Yammer:
Another late night progress report for ‘my’ Doctor Who font. Mostly subtle tweaks, but these usually take the longest. There’s still a lot I’m not keen on, in Particular the V. Both Y‘s are ugly, but I’m fairly happy with the current G and Q situation.
I’m open to constructive criticisms and suggestions at this point.
Progress report for day two of the ‘Geronimo!’ Doctor Who font experiment. Most of it is basically there, but I’m pretty unhappy with some of the details. Nothing like kerning has even been attempted here, this is literally just so I can see how the whole alphabet looks.
Now I need to work on how to make the difficult characters (B, G, Q, Y, V) work, and what, if anything, I can do to improve the bland characters (E, F, S, Z).
I still plan to do numbers and some of the more essential special characters(“, &, #, ~, @, +, – and parentheses).
This evening I’ve been playing around in Inkskape, trying to reproduce the typeface used in the new Doctor Who logo. If I finish it, I’ll set it free on the internet for the Whovians to play with. I picked it mostly because it’s a nice simple design. I plan to call the font ‘Geronimo’.
On closer inspection, I’ve started to take a strong dislike to this new logo. I find the ‘DW’ TARDIS shape to be huge and ugly, but even the letters themselves seem to have some funny issues. Look at the third slide attached to this post, or go and find a larger version of this image on the BBC site. The H‘s right leg is thicker, and the O is not symmetrical vertically! The W is just so ugly I’m reluctant to draw it, and I have no idea why they made the R like they did.
Anyway, I’m going to be faithful to what they’ve done here, but I’ll probably build in an alternate character set with my own ‘improvements’.
Smashing Magazine has an article encouraging designers to produce a something every day. This is my first effort. I was ‘inspired’ by the recent Doctor Who finale, and by Comicraft‘s big font sale (which is still on as I write this, so act quick if you want some great fonts for only $20.10).
I expect I’ll be using my new fonts for later designs!
The last of my pictures of the TARDIS set are all closeup details of the centre console. You can really see how cobbled together it is from common and garden parts.
As you can see, in reality the TARDIS is exactly as big on the inside as it is on the outside!
Welcome aboard the Tardis. The ‘coral’ supports are literally paper mache, and very fragile. In contrast to the Torchwood set, the level of detail is much less, as some of these shots reveal.
Here is just a little sneak peek at some of the photo’s I took today, on the amazing Torchwood Hub set and, of course, the Tardis! I have many other pics I’m working through so expect more over the next few days. I need to relax a little now though…