There is also the Microsoft tag, but that looks even worse.
I wonder if it would be possible to create another type of code that works in the same way, but instead of generating a random checkerboard pattern, it created some kind of face. I’ve quickly drawn up two examples of what these could look like (at the top), but I imagine a much more detailed/abstract look would be required to accommodate the amount of information they would need to contain.
- Perhaps the centre of the eyes could be stable reference points, like the corner squares of QR codes.
- Every other element is subject to change.
- Maybe the design allows the user to enter a limited number of characters, like a short URL or brand name, which will be incorporated into the code.
- The user could be able to learn to predict what kind of information the code contains by the shape of the code face itself, eg: circles could be for web URLs, squares for text only, hexagons for numeric data.
- As well as encoding the necessary information, the resulting code should conform to a formula for cuteness, as much as possible.
What do you think?