Where the British Government’s official figure on the level of illegal filesharing in the UK came from:
- Survey 1,176 people
- 136 admit of filesharing – that’s 11.6%
- Beef that up a bit, some must have been lying: 16.3% sounds good.
- Let’s assume there are 40million people in the country with net access
- (Actual figure according to the ONS: 33.9m)
- That’s a shocking 7million pirates in the UK!
- (Actual figure: 3.9million)
And guess where the figure came from: Government > Forrester Research > Jupiter Research > Commissioned by the BPI, the music trade body. This stuff drives me batshit.